Brooklyn-based composer and performer Michael Harren combines elements of classical composition with experimental electronics and storytelling to create hypnotic and boldly intimate work that walks the line between Laurie Anderson, Peter Gabriel and Dead Can Dance. He is artist-in-residence at Tamerlaine Farm Animal Sanctuary where he created the solo multi-media theater piece The Animal Show, which premiered in New York City in 2016 and continues to be performed in venues throughout the United States.
In his first solo show, Tentative Armor, he combined piano, synthesizers, various electronics, and live musicians with his unique storytelling, resulting in a deeply moving, highly entertaining performance. Through his resonant, powerful, very personal stories, Harren envelops the audience in a funny, poignant, highly intimate tour of his own self-discovery through spirituality, sexuality, and grief. Music, text and photos from the show were released in an album and book of the same name.
Michael Harren has toured as pianist with Sandra Bernhard, is the musical director for Cabaret for a Cause, and has performed at Dixon Place, (le) poisson rouge, Joe’s Pub, Judson Memorial Church, Manhattan Theater Source, The Duplex, Don’t Tell Mama, The Laurie Beechman Theater as well as numerous venues around the country. Michael is a Moogfest artist who presented No Permission Needed: Create with Senator Jaiz at Moogfest 2017.
– 1.5 cups dried black beans
– 1.5 cups brown rice
– 2 tbsp cumin
– 1.5 tbsp chili powder
– 1 tbsp smoked paprike
– 2 tbsp Better Than Bouillon
– 1 tbsp oregano
– 1 large chopped onion
– 5 cloves garlic chopped
– 6 cups of water
– juice of one lime
- 1. Sauté the onion and garlic in the Instant Pot for a few minutes in olive oil, or a spash of water
- 2. Add everything but the lime juice and stir
- 3. Cook on high pressure for 40 minutes.
- 4. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes before releasing any remaining pressure.
- 5. Stir in the lime juice and salt to taste.
- 6. Serve in a big bowl with fresh greens, tomatoes, avocado, salsa, vegan cheese, or whatever else you like!
- 7. Enjoy!
Get Food for life Kitchen
Uniting the world
through pure food
108 Vegan Recipes from around the world