Over 500,000 hot meals served to conflict victims in Ukraine
For the past 2 years (beginning in 11/11/2014), volunteer-based non-profit, Food for Life Donetsk has been feeding the most vulnerable people affected by the armed conflict in the Donetsk region of Ukraine, distributing about 6,000 vegan meals per week.
What Food for Life Donetsk is doing
Under great duress, Food for Life Donetsk has taken an active role in the life of tens of thousands of people in the Donetsk region, cooking and serving meals to people in Donetsk, Makeyevka, Zugres, Khartsyzsk, Ilovaysk, Zhdanovka and the surrounding villages.
To date, more 550,000 hot vegan meals have been served, including
- over 260,000 liters of vegetable porridge (carrots, cabbage, eggplants, zucchini, pumpkin, etc..)
- more 600,000 loaves of fresh-baked bread
- and more 20,000 packaged lunches.
Weekly distribution is taking place in the following locations:
- an urban-type settlement in Gornoe, Khartsyzsk – 800 portions;
- Khartsyzsk “Metallurg” and the private sector – from 800 portions;
- Pastuhovka Makeyevka: 1200 portions twice a week.
- City Clinical Hospital №5 of Makeyevka – 200 meals twice a week;
- Zugres – 130 portions twice a week;
- Makeyevka neuropsychiatric boarding school – 200 meals twice a week;
- Local centers for social services for retirees and lonely disabled citizens of Kalinin, Petrovsky, Kiev, and Kuibyshev district of the Donetsk – 50/100 portions 1-3 times a week;
- Orphanage Khartsyzsk – fresh baked bread;
- Food for Life Mariupol – provides hot lunches in local centers for social services of Zhovtneva, Illichivsk, and Ordzhonikidze – 200 meals twice a week.
- Food for Life Kramatorsk provides the city hospital №2 in Kramatorsk and society of disabled people ” Danko” full hot lunches (130 portions per week).
How to support this effort?
These efforts will continue as long as the volunteers can fund the cooking and distribution of the meals. Specifically, they are in desperate need of new cooking equipment and a new vehicle.
They have set up a crowdfunding page to help them
However, Food for Life Global in the US and Europe is also accepting donations on behalf of the volunteers in Ukraine.
To make a donation through our European Office, click the image below.
Please use the Paypal button below to donate through our US fiscal partner, A Well-Fed World.
Visit the Food for Life Donetsk website
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/foodoflifefordonbass/