Food for Life volunteers expand food distribution to flood victims
Volunteers from Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia continue to battle difficult conditions, even as flood waters recede. “Dead bodies and human waste are now being exposed as the water levels drop, but disease is a major threat now to everyone,” explained FFL co-ordinator for Bosnia, Dhira Prasanta das.
Volunteers are serving meals at many of the shelters throughout the region, bringing hope and a smile to those that have lost everything.
Food for Life Global is collecting tax-deductible donations for US citizens and wiring the money to teams in Serbia and Bosnia. “So far we have collected only $430 via our web site, however, we managed to send $800 today to our volunteers,” said FFL Global Director, Paul Rodney Turner.
Money can go a long way, so even a small donation of $20 can do tremendous good.
“Every single penny will be used for the purposes for which the money was given – only to feed the people who were effected by the catastrophe,” promises Dhira Prasanta.
In the meantime, the small Bosnian ISKCON community will continue to put their hearts and souls into helping their fellow countrymen.
“Our effort is small, but it is very sincere and is driven purely by enthusiasm and a desire to satisfy our spiritual masters and Srila Prabhupada,” says Amala Prema. “We want to help everyone in this difficult situation by giving them prasadam.”
According to Relief Web the highlights and key priorities are:
- Forty-six (46) municipalities have been affected by the floods:
- Most affected at this point are: Samac, Odzak, Orasje, Doboj, Bijeljina, Brcko, and Maglaj;
- 230 health and educational institutions have suffered damage in the affected areas
- One quarter of the country’s population has been directly affected by the floods [EPA];
- Residents have been advised to leave the affected areas; those who remain will receive food and shelter in the emergency shelters.
- Damage to infrastructure and to the agricultural sector will require significant investments to restore livelihoods.
See full Relief Web report
How you can help
You can help us by making tax deductible donations through Food for Life Global or sending prepackaged prasadam to FFL Sarajevo offices. Donations will be shared between our FFL teams in Serbia and Bosnia.
Contact FFL Sarajevo
Address: Pofalicka 11, Sarajevo,
Bosina & Herzegovina – 71000
Phone: +387 33 973088
Facebook: ISKCON Sarajevo
Contact person: Dhira-prasanta das
Contact FFL Serbia
Contact: Madhva Muni